If you are interested in earning an MS Degree in ASL/English Interpreting, we hope you will consider joining us at the University of North Florida. The first master’s degree concentration for general interpreting skills development was implemented in 2009 to meet the needs of interpreters who wanted a graduate program that they could access without moving from their communities, that they could take full or part-time, and that incorporated content that was relevant and meaningful to their work as interpreters. In 2013, UNF partnered with the VRS Interpreting Institute to deliver another online master’s degree in Interpreting Pedagogy. This program prepares certified interpreters to teaching in interpreter education programs.
- The General Practitioner program admits non-certified and certified interpreters and requires a maximum of one weekend per semester in Jacksonville. This program is NOW accepting applications for Spring 2018—no GRE required. Application deadline is December 1, 2017.
- If you are certified, your BA/BS degree can be in another field.
- If you are certified, you will be exempt from the 6-hour Internship (General Practitioner).
- If you are not certified, one of your prior degrees must be in Interpreting to qualify for the General Practitioner program.
- The Interpreting Pedagogy program admits NAD-RID certified interpreters and requires two, 7-10-day onsite summer sessions in Salt Lake City, UT at the VRSII. Applications are now being accepted for admission to the Summer 2018 session. Application deadline is March 31, 2018.
- Instruction online includes use of Blue Jeans, GoReact, and Canvas and is primarily asynchronous to accommodate time zone and schedule differences.
- The language of instruction is ASL and Deaf interpreters and interpreter educators are welcome in both concentrations.
- Faculty members are trained in online instruction with a long history of Interpreter Education. Full-time faculty members in the graduate program are Dr. Cam McDermid, Dr. Len Roberson, and Dr. Sherry Shaw.
- Reduced tuition is available for all out-of-state students.
- The curriculum is up-to-date with current issues and trends in the profession.
For more details about program options at UNF, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org TODAY. We hope you will discover that goals for higher education in interpreting or interpreter education can be met at UNF.
Dr. Sherry Shaw, Ed.D., CSC
Professor, Program Director of ASL/English Interpreting
University of North Florida
1 UNF Drive, 57/3500
Jacksonville, FL 32224
Bachelor of Science degree: http://www.unf.edu/coehs/edie/asl/ASL-BS.aspx
Accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Interpreter Education
ONLINE Master of Science degrees:
General Practitioner Concentration
Interpreting Pedagogy Concentration